UPDATE: Gas leak repaired, residents may return home
Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:23 AM
UPDATE: At 10:14 this morning Police Chief Dave Lukoski gave the all-clear, writing in an e-mail that: “The gas leak on Watson Street, reported earlier has been repaired. All residents have been advised that they can return to their homes safely. Thank you.”
There is a significant natural gas leak near the intersection of Watson and Watertown streets. Police are going house to house to evacuate residents in the area of Watson/Thorne/Newbury and Belleville street due to heavy gas smell. No word on whether the gas may be incendiary. Police advise residents to avoid this area for the next several hours. Power has been shut down in the immediate area.