Alisa Zabel of Roadhouse Pizza delivers a pizza to Patti Heatley. She and her family received the pizzas free after it was found that a carbon monoxide detector was functioning properly in the home.
Alisa Zabel of Roadhouse Pizza delivers a pizza to Patti Heatley. She and her family received the pizzas free after it was found that a carbon monoxide detector was functioning properly in the home.

   Multiple Ripon households got a hot deal last week Friday night: Either a piping-hot pizza (or other tasty meal) or a cool, new carbon monoxide detector. It was all part of a promotion offered by the Ripon Area Fire District in conjunction with Ace Hardware in Ripon and Roadhouse Pizza.

   How did it work? Some customers who ordered food that evening from Roadhouse saw it brought to their homes not in a traditional Roadhouse delivery vehicle but a fire engine instead. Several firefighters, Roadhouse co-owner Alisa Zabel and Patti Russell of Ace all jumped out and came to the door.

   Those households who were found to have a working carbon monoxide detector received their meals free.

   Those who didn’t, however, also got something out of the deal: a new carbon monoxide detector, gratis.

   You can see smoke; you can smell smoke when you’re awake. Most people have smoke detectors, but not everybody has carbon monoxide detectors,” Ripon Fire Chief Tim Saul said. “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer: you can’t see, smell or taste it. You could go to bed and have a problem with your furnace ... and your whole family doesn’t wake up in the morning. Every year we have close calls and we’re just trying to be proactive and get the message out there to check their carbon monoxide detectors and change their batteries.”

   All told, two carbon monoxide detectors were given away, and batteries were given to four families whose detectors had dead batteries.

See additional photos from the event in the Nov. 9, 2017 edition of the Ripon Commonwealth Press.