Most college towns have two athletic fields: One for the college, another for the public schools.

     Ripon is luckier than most college towns.

     Ripon College alumnus John G. Ingalls, class of 1876, donated to the college in 1887 the property off East Fond du Lac Street we now know by his last name.

     The college later deeded the acreage over to the Ripon Area School District, whose middle and high schools now share the turf with the Red Hawks.

     The two organizations aside, this wonderful shared facility was built largely with the organization, perseverance and dollars of private benefactors: Ripon business people, service groups and others.  

     Under the leadership of “General” Warren Sherman, bleachers, lights, scoreboard, buildings, press box  — all were installed thanks to the generosity of people and businesses willing to “pay it forward” so that future generations of young people could run, tackle, jump, head bump, dribble, hurdle and march on its cinder track or grassy field.

     These people gave taxpayers a great gift they continue to enjoy today (e.g. Those tall lights? They’ve outlived by 17 years the business owner who paid for every one of them.) ...
                                                            — Tim Lyke

     To read the entire editorial, see the Dec. 5, 2019 edition of The Ripon Commonwealth Press.