To the editor:
(Re: “Black Lives Matter movement doesn’t reflect what people think it does” and “Wake Up America: Don’t vote Biden,” Sept. 24, 2020)
Black Lives Matter (BLM) is not a Marxist movement. There is nothing about Marxism in BLM’s belief statement.
BLM began out of injustice towards African Americans experiencing prejudice and violence white people never experience. Referring to BLM as Marxist, and by inference to the millions of people who support the cause, is a slander playing to the deepest fears in American society. BLM exists to change the societal and political dynamic that for too long has diminished, terrorized, and taken Black lives. It is a threat to the status quo, not to the Republic.
White Americans have been poor allies to the Black struggle. Too little progress has been made with too much focus on the manner that activists protest. Don’t be distracted. BLM objectives are not about dismantling American principles and structures but striving to make them fair for all Americans, as we all should.
BTW, Media Research Center referred to in the prior letter is hardly apolitical. As a politically ultra-conservative media watchdog group, MRC rejects climate change science and criticizes media coverage reporting scientific consensus. MRC’s mission is to “advance, preserve and help restore America’s culture, character, traditional values, and morals against the assault of the liberal media.” MRC promotes disinformation — propaganda clothed as critique.
In terms of the other submitter:
Voting for Biden/Harris is a vote for:
- Enlisting a life saving strategy against a pandemic that has been left unchecked, resulting in daily deaths of over a 1,000 Americans.
- Recognizing and implementing new technology development, training and job programs to “clean up our act” for today and future generations.
- Ensuring voting rights for all, accepting that freedom isn’t free and liberty’s price is paid with accountability and transparency.
- Ensuring every American’s right to choice.
- Listening to people whose beliefs are antithetical to yours, and willing to march in the streets and die on a battlefield to protect their rights.
- Reclaiming international standing as a great country.
- Safeguarding fairness and equality — if one American is without liberty, all Americans are prisoners.
- Acknowledging and rectifying our brutality that separates families.
It’s not our dislike for Trump that we vote for Biden/Harris —it’s not all about Trump, (although it would be do us good to no longer be recognized as Trump’s third world banana republic.)
Further quoting the referred to Lee Greenwood’s song, “…And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend Her still today ... God Bless the USA.” Forever.
— Mary Maher
603 Watson St.