Pleasant Park Place Evacuation

Residents at Pleasant Park Place were evacuated last week Friday.

The Pleasant Park Place assisted living facility was evacuated last week Friday due to water leaking from the walls and ceiling above a gas fireplace.

No injuries were reported and residents were allowed back into their apartments later that night after officials cleared the area.

Ripon Area Fire District (RAFD) Deputy Fire Chief Mark Sabel said the building’s sprinkler system had been activated and caused a crawl space to get very hot. There was no fire inside the facility.

Because first responders didn’t know what was going on right away, Sabel said everyone was evacuated to ensure safety while firefighters inspected the building.

“It looked like a lot early on, but — until we could actually find what we had — we had to err on the side of caution,” he said.

According to Sabel, RAFD was called around 2:45 p.m. and cleared the scene around 5 p.m.

Everything was repaired and all residents were back inside by about 7:30 p.m., he added.

“We were just making sure that we were able to get a hold of a sprinkler company and that they were on their way,” Sabel said.

He praised the efforts of Pleasant Park Place residents and staff in cooperating with first responders.

“The staff was very helpful,” he said. “They did everything they could to get their residents away from the front of the building.”

When first responders arrived, he said there were two people left in the building, who required special lifts and assistance to move.

“The ambulances came to help us get the people out of the building,” Sabel said. “They just happened to be on opposite ends of the building, so we got the closest one out first and then we got the furthest one out second.”

He added that residents were able to utilize a common area in an apartment building across the street while officials worked to handle the situation at Pleasant Park Place.

Overall, he praised everyone’s efforts to remain calm and stay safe during a tense situation.

Written By

Joe Schulz served as the reporter of the Green Laker in 2019 and 2020, before being hired as a reporter for the Commonwealth in October 2020. He is from Oshkosh and graduated from UW-Oshkosh in December with a bachelor's degree in journalism.

|

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Thank you for taking part in our commenting section. We want this platform to be a safe and inclusive community where you can freely share ideas and opinions. Comments that are racist, hateful, sexist or attack others won’t be allowed. Just keep it clean. Do these things or you could be banned:

• Don’t name-call and attack other commenters. If you’d be in hot water for saying it in public, then don’t say it here.

• Don’t spam us.

• Don’t attack our journalists.

Let’s make this a platform that is educational, enjoyable and insightful.

Email questions to darkin@orourkemediagroup.com.

Share your opinion

Avatar

Join the conversation

Recommended for you