Imagine you order a pizza, and instead the Ripon Area Fire Department shows up at your doorstep.
For several unsuspecting Riponites last week, that was the “Candid Camera” moment they stumbled into.
Alerted by flashing red lights and a blaring fire engine horn, several Riponites found not only Ripon Pizza Hut General Manager Corey Walker at their door, but also a host of firefighters led by Fire Chief Tim Saul.
“We’re here doing a public awareness campaign about carbon monoxide,” Saul told the stunned pizza lovers.
Then he offered them a proposition: Allow us to check to see if your carbon monoxide detector is working. If it is, your entire pizza order is free.
If not, you get a new detector (or batteries from Ripon Ace Hardware).
“I thought it was brilliant,” Walker said. “I put a lot of importance on human interaction [as the new manager at Pizza Hut], and it’s hard to interact with a dead person.”