The fastest swimmer ever to race around the Ripon High School pool will be making waves next fall in the “Show Me State.”
Ripon High School senior Andrew Rodriguez has accepted a scholarship to attend Drury University in Springfield, Mo.
He chose the Division II liberal arts college of 1,600 undergraduates over other Divison I and II offers that he had received.
Other swimming programs vied for Andrew given his accomplishments such as:
- being state champion in numerous short- and long-course state races since he was 12;
- winning the state high point short course multiple times;
- medaling eight times in Speedo multi-state events;
- swimming competitively in junior national championships at Texas A&M;
- being selected twice as Wisconsin State Swimmer of the Year for his male age group;
- medaling this past August at the Futures Championship in Lewisville, Texas.
It was at the Futures Championship where Andrew first made contact with Drury University.
Although he had other offers, his mother, the Rev. Karen Gygax-Rodriguez said, Andrew “felt that Drury was the best fit. Drury is a top Division II school, having won the Division II NCAA championships multiple years.”
Read the full story in the Nov. 23, 2017 edition of the Ripon Commonwealth Press.